So, based on my previous inspection I was presuming the rear-axle to be in good shape. I did all required mods and lastly pulled the rear cover in order to drain oil. While at it, I rotated the carrier by hand and noticed some weird angularity and it was not spinning freely neither. After closer look I found out that someone have been there before me and that someone definitely did not now what he was doing!
The final drive in conventional rear-axles consist of two tooth wheels, the pinion and ring gear. Usually being a hypoid type gear. Adjusting correct clearances and contact pattern on hypoid gears is a must and they are critical about it to get silent and reliable service. "oil clearance" between pinion and ring gear is usually about 0,20mm, little bit too much usually cost no problems, but too small can damage the gears. "Oil clearance" on the axle I was working with was set to minus something, meaning that pinion and ring gear was "pushing" against each others. Resulting noisy and heavy operation and damaged gears and bearings.
The damage was not yet very big. I assume they did not put much kilometers on this axle after "fixing" it, maybe because that someone found it to be too noisy. We never know.
What I did was simply re-adjusted the clearances and call it good. It still feels a tad "angular" but much better than it was and I don't think I'm going to do complete rebuild over it now. Maybe later, but I want to drive it first to hear how it sound. I believe that the little "angularity" is caused by slightly damaged bearing, but it don't necessarily mean it is going to give up anytime soon. We are talking about very small "angularity", a very small problem now. I was wondering a long time whether to rebuild it or let it be and I decided to let it be as it is. I'm short on money now and I can used as it is, so why bother. I can come back to it later, if needed. Time to move on now:)
I think I love slide shows. Before I usually added a picture gallery on my blog post to show what I've done, but today I like to use slide shows. Btw, I added a ton of new pics to picture galleries. Some of them have been previously used on so many slide shows on this blog, but there is new ones too, so check it out! The slide show below is about installation of the rear-axle. I fabricated new leaf spring pads and stiffened up axle tubes in order to improve load carrying capacity of this small rear-axle. Here's what I've done;